Why choose Karndean over other flooring types?
How does Karndean Designflooring compare with other types of flooring such as laminate, carpet, ceramic tiles, real wood and stone?
- Karndean vs Wood. Karndean give you all the visual qualities of natural wood, but without difficulties. Natural timber comes in varying qualities and can expand, warp and shrink. Designflooring maintains its shape throughout its lifetime.
- Wood is susceptible to temperature changes, and if it gets wet you can be in real trouble.
- Karndean can handle changes in temperature and spills of water with our floors being 100% waterproof.
Karndean vs Stone, Marble and Ceramics
- Natural stone can be hard to manage and weight can be a problem, especially if you want to fit upstairs. Karndean is much lighter, flexible and easier to install.
- Karndean's floors are warmer - the cold touch of stone and marble can be a bit off-putting in cold weather.
- Textures can help to avoid slippery surfaces, especially in areas that get wet, like the bathroom, kitchen, hall or utility.
Karndean vs Carpet
There are some big practicalities of Karndean over carpet.
- Karndean is easier to clean, especially if you are busy, have children or pets to clear up after. So you can keep your floor looking good for longer.
- Our floors do not harbour dust mites or bacteria - unlike carpets.
- Karndean is easy and simple to keep clean.
- All our ranges offer lifetime warranties. It's hard to find a carpet with such durability.
- Karndean can be laid over underfloor heating systems.
- In the unlikely event of damage, it is possible to replace a plank or tile of Karndean, a huge advantage over carpet which would need to be completely replaced.
- If you really want carpet, then we don't have a woolly version of Karndean, but you could be surprised by the warmth and comfort of our floors. Why not ask for a sample?
Karndean vs Laminates and Vinyls
- Karndean just isn't in the same league as laminates and vinyl. Quite simply the quality, colour, finish, effects and guarantee are much better.
- Many man-made materials, including laminate, can curl or shrink whereas Designflooring maintains its shape throughout its lifetime.
- Karndean is hard-wearing.
We should point out that Karndean Designflooring does take longer to fit than roll and sheet products such as carpet or linoleum. However, we believe the advantages outweigh this, and in comparison, it is quicker to lay than many other hard flooring products such as stone and timber. If you're looking for a quicker installation and/or need to lay over a current hard subfloor, why not check out our latest innovation Karndean LooseLay?