All about Karndean and our floors
Who are Karndean Designflooring?
Put simply, we are the leading manufacturer of luxury vinyl flooring. To find out more about Karndean and our exceptional products, visit the company page.
What is Karndean made of?
Karndean flooring is made of part recycled PVC with high quality plasticisers. It is used to create a textured surface, for a beautiful, natural effect.
Will a Karndean floor be slippery?
As with most smooth floor coverings, water and other liquids can make it slippery. Karndean floors are designed to be slip resistant. But it is always best to clean up any spillages straight away, and keep the floor dry.
What is the difference between each of the Karndean ranges?
Each of our six product ranges has a different wear layer.
Range - Wear Layers
Knight Tile - 0.3mm
Opus - 0.55mm
Van Gogh - 0.55mm
Michelangelo - 0.55mm
Da Vinci - 0.7mm (bevelled edges)
Art Select - 0.7mm (bevelled edges)
What is the difference between a metallic strip, feature strip and design strip?
There are several main differences between Karndean strips:
- Metallic strip – these can be used in standard borders and features, and come in sizes of 3mm, 5mm, 10mm, 30mm and 76m
- Feature strip – available in six colours, these 5mm wide plastic strips are usually used on tile floors to give the natural effect of grout lines or to complement wood planks
- Design strips – these are strips cut from another tile or wood plank. They come in 3mm, 5mm, 10mm, 30mm and 76mm.
Added between tiles and wood planks, strips can give the impression of grouting for a natural effect, and a contemporary look and feel to your home.
For more information please visit our design components page.
What are standard, tramline and keyline borders?
- Standard border – a patterned border designed to complement tile and wood plank floors. Karndean have selected an assortment of decorative border options to accompany all of our ranges
- Tramline border – a simple and affordable way of creating decorative edging. They can be used in combination with feature strips, metallic strips and design strips for a range of effects
- Keyline border – single strips that can be added to the edge of your floor. Keyline borders are available in 3mm, 5mm, 10mm, 30mm and 76mm and can be used with metallic and design strips
For help choosing the right border for you, why not visit your local retailer?
Any other questions?
If you need more information about any aspect of Karndean Designflooring, please contact us on 01386 820 100 or email us with your query and we’ll be happy to help.